Collection JCMR - Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund

Letter to Archdeacons of Lincoln, Northampton and Huntingdon Letter of Roger de Skerning, Bishop of Norwich Letter of the Official of the Archdeacon of Ely to the parochial clergy Confirmation of Indulgences granted by previous Bishops Indulgence of Thomas Arundel, at that time Bishop of Ely Indulgence of William Courtenay, Archbishop of Canterbury Seal of John de Trippelowe Seal of white and brown wax Charter of Nigel granting nuns land Charter of King Stephen Confirmation of charter Gray 2a Fragment of a Deed (gift or feoffment) Gift with warranty (fragmentary) Gift of a house

Identity area

Reference code



Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund


  • 1144-1496 (The earliest dated document comes from 1144; there are also undated items from around that time.) (Creation)

Level of description


Extent and medium

Context area

Name of creator

Biographical history

The Benedictine Priory of St Mary and St Radegund at Grenecroft, Cambridge, was founded before 1144 (probably in the late 1130s) and dissolved by the initiative of John Alcock, Bishop of Ely, in 1496. The nunnery had close connections with the see of Ely, especially in its early days.

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

The collection comprises property deeds and some administrative records of the Benedictine nunnery that formerly occupied the Jesus College site.

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Publication note

Arthur Gray, The Priory of Saint Radegund Cambridge (Cambridge, 1898); Elisabeth van Houts, Nuns and goldsmiths: the foundation and early benefactors of St Radegund's Priory at Cambridge, in Church and City 1000-1500 (CUP, 1992), pp. 59-79.

Notes area


Preferred citation: Jesus College, Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund, Nuns

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

14 May 2018




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places