Showing 2122 results

Archival description
Image
Print preview View:

2122 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

Flint

Primary flake with marginal retouch on the distal end

Pottery

Two sherds of Nene Valley colour coated ware and one Hadham oxidised ware. None of the sherds were diagnostic but the Hadham ware is dated mid 3rd-4th century AD and the Nene Valley ware is dates AD 150-300.

Pottery

21 shards, including one Central Gaulish Samian dish dated mid 2nd century AS and four sherds from a Hadham oxidised ware vessel dated mid 3rd-4th century AD. A black slipped dog dish from this context dates to the 2nd-4th century AD and the remaining sherds are also probably of this date range.
Two sherds probably post-Roman are separated.

Pottery

Six sherds of pottery, consisting of three Nene Valley colour coated wares and three sandy greywares. One of the sherds of Nene Valley ware is decorated with white painted swirls and berries, dating it to the 3rd century AD.

Charter of Nigel granting nuns land

  • JCMR/Gray 1- . . . 383/Gray 1-10/1
  • Item
  • 1144-1145 (This is probably the earliest of the nuns' charters, written before Gray 2a: see Gray, Priory (Cambridge, 1898), p. 3, for discussion; also Nuns and goldsmiths, p.61, n.11.)
  • Part of Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund

Nigel, Bishop of Ely, gives to the nuns of the newly founded cell outside the town of Cambridge a piece of land (4 acres) lying near to the said cell, free of all customs, for a rent of 12d per annum. Witnesses: Radulf Olaf; Petrus clericus (Peter the clerk); Gilebertus capellanus de horn[u]ningesheia (Gilbert the chaplain of Horningsea).

Nigel (d 1169) Bishop of Ely

Charter of King Stephen

  • JCMR/Gray 1- . . . 383/Gray 1-10/2a
  • Item
  • 1149-1150 ("[Given] during the siege of Mapperhall" (Apud Mapertes halam in obsidione), 1149-50. For the date, see appendix A in Nuns and goldsmiths.)
  • Part of Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund

Stephen confirms to the church and nuns of St Mary the grant by William Monachus [le Moyne], goldsmith, of 2 virgates of land and 6 acres of pasture and 4 cottars with their holdings, at (Great) Shelford, in free alms, for the soul of Henry (I) and for all God's faithful. Witnesses: William Martell and Rainer de Warenne.

Stephen I (c 1096-1154) King of England

Confirmation of charter Gray 2a

Bishop Nigel of Ely confirms grant by William Monachus [le Moyne] of Shelford to the Church of St Mary and St Radegund of 2 virgates of land etc. Witnesses: William [de Laventon] archdeacon [of Ely], Richard of St Paul, Richard de Pontcardon, Ricardus filius Ilberti (Richard fitz Gilbert), Magistrus Ernulfus (Master Ernulf), John of St Alban, Gilbert clericus (the clerk), Radulfus Dapiferus (Ralph the steward), Alexander pincerna (the butler), Henricus peregrinus (Henry the pilgrim).

Nigel (d 1169) Bishop of Ely

Letter of Roger de Skerning, Bishop of Norwich

The Bishop orders the clergy and laity of his diocese to make collections in his diocese for the repair of the church of St Radegund, damaged by the fall of the bell-tower. Written in Hoxne (??).

Skerning, Roger de

Confirmation of Indulgences granted by previous Bishops

The bishop confirms certain grants of indulgence made by his brother Bishops in favour of persons contributing to the relief of the nuns and the rebuilding of their house destroyed by fire. Written in Hatfield

Keeton, John

Gift with warranty (fragmentary)

  • JCMR/Gray 1- . . . 383/Gray 31-49/48c*
  • Item
  • 1342-December 1342 (Shortly before 48 and 48b*; same scribe. 'Dat' apud Cantebr' die Lune p[ro]x[ima] festu[m] s[an]c[t]i T_ (Anno regni Regis) Edwardi t[er]cii post conquestu[m] __mo)')
  • Part of Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund

John le Gome, of Cambridge, to (John de) Trypellowe, rector of Herdewik, a messuage in Ragegund Lane with a garden adjacent to it. Witnesses: Bartholomew Morice, Mayor of Cambridge, John (Marschal?), John de Shadeworth, Richard de Weston, bailiffs, John Fryday et aliis.

Gome, John le

Fragment of a Deed (gift or feoffment)

  • JCMR/Gray 1- . . . 383/Gray 31-49/47c*
  • Item
  • 16 August 1342-18 August 1347 ('..die veneris p[ro]x[ima] post festu[m] Assu[m]ptio...' Philip Cayly was Mayor in 1442 (33a) and in 1347 before November (43a))
  • Part of Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund

To John de Tryppelowe, rector of Herdewik, ? messuages, tree cottages, and a garden, abutting on the Nun's croft and highway. Witnesses: Phillip C(ayly, Mayor of Cambridge) (47a), John Vanasour, bailiff. Same scribe as 33a, 43a etc.

John d(icitur)

Seal of white and brown wax

  • JCMR/Add./Add. Seals 1-7/Add. Seals 3
  • Item
  • 1328-1349 (On the membrane strip attached to the seal is written (s xiv 2/4 handwriting) "... Rector de Reymerst..." The membrane must have belonged to John de Tryppelowe. He was rector of Reymerston between 1328 and 1342 and then rector of Hardwick until 1349.)
  • Part of Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund

Seal of white and brown wax, central (brown) part bears impression of a human figure (St Radegund? a bishop?)

St Radegund's Priory (?)

Indulgence of Thomas Arundel, at that time Bishop of Ely

  • JCMR/Gray 11-17/Gray 11-17/16
  • Item
  • 2 April 1376 (Dated 'Apud Dodyngton s[e]c[un]do die Aprilis, Anno Domini mill[es]imo CCCmo Septuagesimo sexto et nostro consecracionis s[e]c[un]do'.)
  • Part of Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund

The Bishop grants indulgence of 40 days to all who contribute to the relief of the nuns on the occasion of the destruction of their dwellings and goods by fire. Written in Doddington.

Arundel, Thomas (1353-1414) Archbishop of Canterbury

Indulgence of William Courtenay, Archbishop of Canterbury

  • JCMR/Gray 11-17/Gray 11-17/17
  • Item
  • 6 April 1390 (Dated 'in manerio nostro de Croydon sexto die mensis Aprilis Anno d[o]m[ini] mill[es]imo CCCmo Nonogesimo Et nostre translacio[n]is nono'.)
  • Part of Records of the Priory of St Mary and St Radegund

The Archbishop grants indulgence of 40 days to persons contributing to the relief of the nuns whose buildings have been ruined by violent storms. Written in the Manor of Croydon.

Courtenay, William (1342-1396) Archbishop of Canterbury

Gift of a house

Prioress Isabella of Sudbury, in consequence of complaints by Adam de Walsoken, vicar of St Clement's, to the Archbishop of Canterbury at his metropolitan visitation, about the fall in value of his rents and the burden of the annual payment of 5 marks to the nuns, assigns to the vicar a house in the cemetery of the said church to the east of the church, in perpetuity.

Isabella of Sudbury (fl 1402) Prioress of St Radegund

Royal Charter Permitting College Foundation

Licence granted by Henry VII to John [Alcock], Bishop of Ely, to expel the prioress and nuns from the convent of St Radegund . . . and to found a college for a Master, six Fellows and a certain number of scholars . . . To be called the College of the Blessed Virgin Mary, St John the Evangelist and the Glorius Virgin St Radegund, and to hold in free alms all the lands and possessions of the former priory; with incomplete Great Seal

Pottery

1 rim sherd. Mostly 14th and one 15th century Red ware

Bone

Some butchery. Proximal radius and one ageable mandible from an adult sheep/goat. One undiagnostic bird bone.

Pottery

Romans and St Neots and 14th/15th century

Pottery

Some with green glaze. All Essex Red wares including graffito slip.

Pottery

Some with green glaze. Late Roman and 16th century Surrey.

Pair of flagons

  • JCAG/A/1
  • Item
  • 1627
  • Part of Silver

Flagons engraved with crest of Newcombe.

J. A., London

Paten

  • JCAG/A/4
  • Item
  • 1657
  • Part of Silver

London

Results 1 to 50 of 2122