Subseries STA - Station Road

Proposed Villa No.2 - Section of Proposed Building Attic Plan Section CD Proposed Villa No. 3 - Front Elevation

Identity area

Reference code

JCCA/JCAD/3/CAM/STA

Title

Station Road

Date(s)

Level of description

Subseries

Extent and medium

Context area

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Title to the land in the Station Road area stems from the Barnwell Inclosure Award 1808-1809.

In 1846 the College agreed to sell land to the Eastern Counties Railway Company for a station and for the approved road.
The conveyance was signed in 1850 [JCAD/3/CAM/STA/GEN/1/1850]

The College then gave notice to its agricultural tenants and started to let the land to developers. The occupiers in 1847 were Mr Dixon, Mr Gotobed (most of his land was sold to the Great Eastern Railway Co in 1874) and Mr George Bullen (who farmed the land on the south side of Station Road)

Land near the station was leased to Robert Sayle on 7th March 1859 [JCAD/3/CAM/STA/GEN/1/1859]
This lease was determined on 22nd March 1873 [JCAD/3/CAM/STA/GEN/1/1873] and the land sold to the Great Eastern Railway Company

On 4th June 1874 Arthur John Gray was granted a lease of the first of his houses 'Salisbury Villa' built on the north side of Station Road [JCAD/3/CAM/STA/GEN/1/1874]
This lease included land afterwards compulsorily purchased by the Cambridge Improvement Commissioners to make Tenison Road.

6th May 1876 Arthur John Gray surrendered to the College part of Gotobed's allotment in order that the College might sell it to the Great Eastern Railway Company [JCAD/3/CAM/STA/GEN/1/1876/1]

On 24th December 1888 Arthur John Gray renewed his lease of 1, 2, and 3 Salisbury Villas [JCAD/3/CAM/STA/GEN/1/1888]
When the lease was renewed it was found that Gray still held a square piece of land at the rear of the gardens of his houses, separate from them, with a frontage to the proposed new Tenison Road of 400 feet.

On 11th December 1885 the Notice of proposed purchase of land for the roadway under the Public Health Act 1875 was issued
The conveyance was signed on 9th July 1889

1st November 1888 the College agreed with Arthur John Gray to pay him an annuity in the form of a remission of rent. Gray thereby surrendered 3150 square yards of land for the road

On 14th March 1894 Gray surrendered to the College two pieces of land at the back of his houses Salisbury Villas and Arundel Villas. The first portion was in a lease dated 1874 and the second in a lease of Arundel Villas dated 1st November 1882. This land was then leased to developers to build houses facing Tenison Road and Tenison Avenue. This left Gray with 200 feet frontage on Tenison Road (the site of St Colette's School).

The College planned Tenison Avenue, leasing sites to builders, so that it was left with a piece of land extending as far as the Highsett houses. Mr Charles Armstrong, builder of some of the Tenison Avenue houses, took this on a yearly agreement in 1897 [JCAD/3/CAM/STA/GEN/1/1897]

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling

Accruals

System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used

Status

Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion

Language(s)

Script(s)

Sources

Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places