Subseries PARK - Park Street

Identity area

Reference code



Park Street


Level of description


Extent and medium

Context area

Archival history

Immediate source of acquisition or transfer

Content and structure area

Scope and content

Known until 1837 as Garlick Fair Lane and follows the line of the King's Ditch. It contains houses predominantly of the first half of the 19th century

Nos. 1-18 are known as Park Street (built in the late 1820s) and Nos. 19-44 (built c. 1834) are known as Lower Park Street

Nos. 1-4 were subject to compulsory purchase by Cambridge City Council and demolished in 1962 as part of a road widening scheme when the Park Street car park was built
Nos. 5-10 were listed (on 2nd August 1996) as buildings of special architectural or historic interest
Nos. 17 and 18 were condemned by the City Council as unfit for human habitation in 1960. They were demolished in 1962 and the land was leased to Marshalls as a car park until 1993 when the City Council refused planning permission for continued use as a car park

Nos. 19-44 Lower Park Street were listed (on 2nd August 1996) as buildings of special architectural or historic interest

Nos. 37 and 38 were converted into furnished accommodation for 3 graduate students in 1971
This was a pilot scheme for a complete renovation of the row of cottages planned by the architect Peter Hall
Nos. 23 and 24 were completed in 1971
Nos. 27 and 28 were completed in 1972
Nos. 40 and 41 were completed in 1973
Nos. 31 and 32 were completed in 1975
Nos. 33 and 34 were completed in 1977
Nos. 20, 21 & 22 were completed in 1979
Nos. 35 and 36 were completed in 1979
Nos. 29 and 30 were completed in 1981

Appraisal, destruction and scheduling


System of arrangement

Conditions of access and use area

Conditions governing access

Conditions governing reproduction

Language of material

Script of material

Language and script notes

Physical characteristics and technical requirements

Finding aids

Allied materials area

Existence and location of originals

Existence and location of copies

Related units of description

Related descriptions

Notes area


Current street numbers for Lower Park Street are as follows:
No. 19
No. 21 [formerly 20, 21 and 22, converted in 1978/79]
No. 24 [formerly 23 and 24, converted in 1971/72]
No. 25
No. 26
No. 28 [formerly 27 and 28, converted in 1972]
No. 30 [formerly 29 and 30, converted in 1981]
No. 32 [formerly 31 and 32, converted in 1975]
No. 34 [formerly 33 and 34, converted in 1977]
No. 36 [formerly 35 and 36, converted in 1979]
No. 38 [formerly 37 and 38, converted in 1971]
No. 39
No. 40 [formerly 40 and 41, converted in 1973]
No. 42
No. 43
No. 44

Alternative identifier(s)

Access points

Subject access points

Place access points

Name access points

Genre access points

Description control area

Description identifier

Institution identifier

Rules and/or conventions used


Level of detail

Dates of creation revision deletion




Accession area

Related subjects

Related people and organizations

Related genres

Related places