Showing 22455 results

Archival description
Print preview View:

2335 results with digital objects Show results with digital objects

126, 128 and 130 Tenison Road

  • JCCA/JCAD/3/CAM/TENR/1/2/1
  • File
  • 22nd August 1931 - 14th December 1945
  • Part of College Archives

A series of five letters from Francis & Co regarding negotiations about granting a Licence to Universal Garden Supplies Ltd, [potential purchasers] to carry out "the trade or business of seedsman, horticure sundries, warehouseman, fertiliser, packing and lawnmower grinding and repair work"

Francis & Co

126, 128 and 130 Tenison Road

  • JCCA/JCAD/3/CAM/TENR/1/2/2
  • Item
  • 14th January 1946 - 18th January 1946
  • Part of College Archives

Three letters concerning Nos. 126-130 Tenison Road:

(1) 14th January 1946 - from Ernest Lloyd to the Bursar asking him to reconsider the College's decision not to allow the purchaser (Mr Ridgeon, seed merchant) to occupy the premises. He explains that Mr G. C. Bedwell of Hills Road left the properties to his children and his eldest daughter was entirely dependent on the rent. She had already lost two quarters rent due to the College's decision

(2) 17th January 1946 - from Ernest Lloyd to the Bursar thanking him for his phone call and confirming he had contacted their Agents, Messrs R. C. Knight & Sons, and asked them to forward the particulars of the properties to the College

(3) The particulars giving a detailed description of the property

13 Jesus Lane [Demolished]

In 1960 the tenant of No. 13 was Mr W. M. Clifton and the tenant of No. 13A was Miss E. E. Tyrrell

Subject of compulsory purchase by Cambridge City Council in 1962 as part of a road widening scheme when the Park Street car park was built

13 New Square

Letter from Francis & Co to the Bursar informing him they had dealt with an assignment of No. 13. Mr Frederick George Jenkins (personal representative of Katharine Jenkins, late of No. 13 New Square) had given his assent to the assignment of the lease to Marion Hannah Lancaster

13 Station Road

  • JCCA/JCAD/3/CAM/STA/13/3/1
  • Item
  • 21 January 1924 - 26 January 1924
  • Part of College Archives

Letter from Dorothy Spens to Jesus College asking if they would consider letter the Cambridge Shelter for Girls purchase the remainder of the lease. They would then use the house as a hostel for 3 or 4 girls.

Letter from Francis & Co to Bernard Manning (Jesus College) advising that the lease stipulates that the house is only to be used as a private residence. They say that the lease could be granted to Mrs Spens as a private individual but the College could not recognise the purpose which she has in view.

13 Station Road

  • JCCA/JCAD/3/CAM/STA/13/3/2
  • Item
  • 24 September 1945 - 25 March 1946
  • Part of College Archives

Two letters from J. Carter, Jonas & Sons (Land Agent) to the Bursar: (1) stating that the tenant Mr Simpson had died and Mr F. Andrews (builder) had applied for the tenancy on behalf of his son in law. He was recommended as a tenant as during the war years he had turned down Government contracts in order to carry out local work including a good deal for the College; (2) confirmation of receipt of a cheque for dilapidations from the executors of Mr Simpson and request for permission to pass this on to the current tenant, Mr Bayliss as per the lease agreement.

14 Park Street

  • JCCA/JCAD/3/CAM/PARK/14/3/1
  • File
  • 21st November 1876 - 26th September 1878
  • Part of College Archives

File concerning the renewal of the lease in the name of Mr James Hodgson, dated 6th May 1845, (deceased) and held by his wife Mrs Mary Ann Hodgson. Arthur Westmorland (Bursar) makes it clear that before the lease could be renewed repair work set out in a schedule drawn up by Richard Reynolds Rowe had to be completed. Includes the specification listing in detail the repair work to be done; letters between the solicitors representing both sides about the terms of the lease; a letter from Mary Ann Hodgson saying the repairs were well in hand and requesting the lease be renewed and transferred to her son in law Mr H. Whiting with whom she lived as she was "getting very aged" [she was 82]; a site plan of the property showing the outline and dimensions; and an abstract of title

14 Tenison Avenue

Known as 'Dovedale'

Leased to Charles Armstrong for 99 years from 25th March 1895
Lease assigned to Teresa Charlotte Collier in 1940
Lease assigned to Vernon Howe in 1952

15 Park Street, 1900

Letter from Hugh Shield (Bursar) to Mr Saul offering him a fresh lease for 40 years from 29th September 1900

15 Tenison Avenue

Known as 'Kilmeny'

Leased to Charles Armstrong for 99 years from 25th March 1895 along with Nos. 13, 17, and 19

16 and 17 New Square

  • JCCA/JCAD/3/CAM/NEWSQ/16/3/1
  • File
  • 10 January 1888 - 2 April 1888
  • Part of College Archives

Contains letters concerning the renewal of the lease for Nos. 16 and 17 to Mr Sanderson

16 Station Road

  • JCCA/JCAD/3/CAM/STA/16/2/1
  • Item
  • 17th September 1887 - 13th February 1888
  • Part of College Archives

Letters concerning new lease:

  1. From Henry John Whitehead (solicitor) to Francis, Francis and Parker (solicitor), dated 17th September 1887. States that Mrs Chapman has instructed him to accept the offer of a new lease of Woodstock Villa and St Mary's Villas (currently held under lease dated 27th March 1874) and setting out the terms for the new lease

  2. From Henry John Whitehead to Francis, Francis and Parker, dated 13th February 1888. Returns the draft lease with an alteration allowing lettings of the houses as per the original lease

  3. Plan of the properties showing extent of property and the names of the neighbouring leaseholders

16 Station Road

Letter from J. F. Symonds & Leather, on behalf of Miss Kett, to Francis & Co complaining that 16 Station Road was being used a lodging house contrary to the terms of the leases for 16 & 18 Station Road and asking them to stand by the terms of the lease

J. F. Symonds & Leather

17 Jesus Lane

17 Jesus Lane was renumbered 18 Jesus Lane in 2012 and 17 was no longer used as a postal address.

Records relating to this property:

Up to 2012 (excluding 1912 - 2001) are catalogued here.

1912 - 2001 this was part of the Marshall's garage site. For these records see: JCAD/3/CAM/JESL/9.

From 2012 onwards see 18 Jesus Lane [New] JCAD/3/CAM//JESL/6

17 New Square

Letter from J. H. H. Goodwin (Bursar) to Mrs Turner offering her a renewal of her lease. Also a site plan showing the outline of the property including dimensions

17 New Square

  • JCCA/JCAD/3/CAM/NEWSQ/17/3/2
  • File
  • 9th May 1942 - 26th October 1942
  • Part of College Archives

Specification of works and quotes by Coulson & Son Ltd and Crown & Cox

17 Park Street [Demolished]

Nos. 17 and 18 were condemned by the City Council as unfit for human habitation in 1960. They were demolished in 1962 and the land was leased to Marshalls as a car park until 1993 when the Council refused them planning permission to continue using it as a car park

Results 51 to 100 of 22455